January 08, 2006

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggety Jog

Saturday, January 7 - we packed up our bags and did some last-minute shopping for souvenirs. We ran into my nephew James in the "Book Ends" book store, and he showed me his copy of "Da Jesus Book", the New Testament translated into Hawaiian Pidgin. Marty had read a similar Bible in Melanesian Pidgin when he visited me in Kailua-Kona many years ago and he still talks about it - so I also bought a copy to bring home for him.

I went for a half-hour walk along Kailua Beach just to say goodbye, and saw a dozen kite surfers racing along under kite-power and just flying across the water. (I'm linking to someone else's vacation photo here.) One guy had fallen off his board and was just standing up again when a gust of wind hit his kite and picked him right up into the air off his board, depositing him in the water again! Another managed to do a complete loop-de-loop on his board before landing upright on the water again.

Then it was time to say our goodbyes - always the hardest part of the visit. The drive to the airport along the recently completed H3 freeway was spectacularly beautiful, as always, and our checkin at the airport was relatively painless, though aggravating. Hawaii requires an agricultural inspection of all outbound luggage in addition to the usual security inspections. The flight back was smooth and we arrived at Sacramento International Airport on time under a clear sky.

I've heard that when a visitor forgets a personal item at the place he has visited, it means there will be another trip. If that is true, I should be going back soon, because I forgot my jacket and scarf (in the dead of winter, for pete's sake,) as well as my digital camera.

I'm all unpacked now, and Laurel returns to school tomorrow. I get Monday off, and return to work at 11 a.m. on Tuesday. Aloha!

No comments: