November 01, 2007

I Think my Skype is Fixed

Skype is a service that provides voice communication via your computer, instead of a telephone. The only requirements are the free software download, a microphone and speakers or headset. If you also have a webcam, you can even send video of yourself, so the other person can see you while you're talking. If he, in turn, has a webcam, you can have a two-way video conversation. For Free! Worldwide!

Here's me, as you would see me if we were skyping.

I was really disappointed this summer, while visiting Mom, to find that somehow my Skype couldn't record my audio. I was hoping to be able to set up a connection with Michael in Toronto, so Mom could talk to him. Although I could hear incoming calls, the microphone couldn't send my voice. I think there was a conflict with something else that was trying to use the sound card, but we weren't able to resolve the problem before we left.

Finally, tonight, I uninstalled, then reinstalled the camera drivers, and made two successful Skype test calls. I think I'm back in business, just in time for our trip to Malta later this month. If we leave one of the laptops at home, we should be able to have video conversations with the kids while we're away, and save the cost of an international cellphone call.

In case you get inspired, my Skype ID is "asowens51us". Skype me if I'm online!

No comments: