December 06, 2007

Getting Back to my Local World

I've been back for a few days now, and have pretty-much recovered from jet lag. I still need to upload some photos to Flickr, and caption them and the others that I've already uploaded. I've lost my momentum, but I will get it done this weekend.

I have traveled some, but not often abroad. Each time I go, I try to use the experience to make my packing list perfect, and each time, there's something I didn't get quite right. Guess I need to take a few more trips for practice!

Here's my list of observations from this recent trip:
1. Taking a packable backpack was a good idea. When folded up, it fits into the carry-on bag, but can be used on sightseeing excursions to hold a jacket, map, camera, snacks, and souvenirs.
2. Sometimes room service is more economical than the hotel buffet.
3. I don't like using hotel fitness centers, so unless there will be beach swimming, forget the swimsuit.
4. Make a local guidebook and map one of the first purchases when you get there. I couldn't find much about Malta in Sacramento, but there was an abundance of materials in local shops in Malta.
5. Carry a normal purse - a waist pack, even though convenient for tour buses, screams "TOURIST! Wearing a concealed travel wallet worked very well. If you wear your shirts "out' or wear a jacket, it is not discernible under your clothes.
6. Take plenty of batteries - I burned up four sets of AAs in my camera in a week, and missed some photo-ops while waiting to get to a store that sold batteries.
7. Leave room for souvenirs and purchases. British Airways and Aer Lingus allow only one carry on item per passenger (strictly enforced.) I managed the 10 days comfortably with one carry-on bag, but had no room to bring back purchases. Next time, I plan to use the packable backpack as the carry-on for the return trip, and check the rolling bag (containing dirty clothes).
8. Use the hotel's business center to check in online and print boarding passes.
9.British Airways does not allow in-person check-in more than three hours ahead of the flight time, so trying to beat the rush was counterproductive.
10. (Most important) Eat a good breakfast every morning, even if it's the most expensive meal of the day. Getting too hungry is bad for concentration and also bad for general health.

No comments: