August 27, 2008

I'm a Rosie Wall Walker

I just returned from a whirlwind visit to Hawaii - had to use-or-lose a ticket I bought last summer. My intention was to visit for Aunt Jo's birthday, and maybe persuade her to invite us to Sunday brunch at Pohai Nani. I discovered that she'd been hospitalized after falling several times, and had had an emergency hip replacement. So, I spent the better part of each of three days with her, getting her discharged from the hospital, admitted to the Pohai Nani Care Center for rehabilitation, and then sharing cupcakes in her room for an early birthday celebration. There is no phone in her room, so D and L got her a cell phone and now she's in touch with the world again.

Everyone else was fine - I had good visits with Mom and Mary; never saw the beach this trip and didn't visit the library, either! Left my laptop at home, and had a wonderful time!

And while I was in Kailua, L, C and I participated in the tenth - and last - independently-run Rosie Wall Memorial 5k race. It started at the Recreation Center right behind the Kailua Fire Station, ran down North Kainalu right past Mom's street to Kainalu Elementary School, around the school, and back to the Rec Center. C was 2nd in her age division, L was 3rd in hers, and I was 2nd in mine - in the men's category! When that teeny little error was fixed, I was 6th in my women's age division. We each got a t-shirt and a white rosebud. Results are here.

Next year, the Rosie Wall Memorial will be the 5k part of the Windward Half-Marathon.

No comments: