May 25, 2009

No Excuses!

I entered myself and Marty in the 5th annual Buzz Oates "No Excuses 5k" run/walk several weeks ago, because it is held in beautiful Land Park and winds around ponds, old houses and the golf course under stately shade trees. Then Marty got the flu, and a week later I got a cold. My hip started to hurt and I stopped walking for a while.

Although neither of us is 100% recovered, we picked up our race packets on Saturday, which included a T-shirt with all the excuses pre-printed on the back: check all that apply!

Today was race day. Marty and I found a parking spot along one of the side streets, and took our places near the end of the pack - about 1,000 strong. At the sound of the horn, we were off! We finished the 5k in under an hour, but I don't know yet what my time was - we left fairly quickly afterward, so I'll have to check online later.


And my hip was fine, and Marty didn't cough, even when we passed the horse. And we were not the last to finish - what more could I ask?

No comments: