October 18, 2009

Climbing the Walls


A couple of years ago on my way to Hawaii, I met Dierdre on the plane - we shared a row and discovered similar interests. We returned to Sacramento on the same flight, as well, and we've kept in touch.

She invited me and Marty to last night's pre-release screening of the 2009 Reel Rock Tour at the Pipeworks climbing gym, featuring a National Geographic Society video about her son, Alex Honnold, the world's best free solo climber (that means without ropes or safety gear, folks.) He's about Pat's age, but has spent the last 6 or 7 years climbing sheer walls like Yosemite's Half-Dome using nothing but his fingers and toes. The photography was awesome, and the audience whistled and cheered when Dierdre appeared onscreen during the interview at her home.

Dierdre's no wimp, either: she's completed numerous marathons and has been an avid runner. Now she's climbing, too! All that energy from the crowd last night has re-ignited my dream to walk a half-marathon. So I'm starting over. No climbing, though. I like my feet firmly planted.
Kurokaze204's photo used with permission.

No comments: