December 16, 2010

Mystery Afghan - Solved!

I finished the Bernat Mystery Afghan I began in September in time to send it to Father-in-Law for Christmas. The beginning of my project doesn't give any clues as to the finished afghan AT ALL! And, like all the other crocheters, I had a problem with the corner squares - because they didn't work up square. Bernat invited us to submit photos of our completed projects, and you can see mine here and the other participants' afghans in Bernat's crochet-along Flickr set.

What I learned:
  • When divided into weekly tasks, the finished project was easily achievable; having a goal of completion before Christmas helped, too.
  • Even do-it-yourself afghans are not cheap.
  • I really enjoyed working on this, and re-discovered my love of crochet after several years of knitting smaller projects.
  • I now know how to work at the required gauge in order to make the squares the same size.
  • One of the colors in my project yarns was much skinnier than the others, even though they were all Bernat's "Softee Chunky" - something to be aware of, if I use several colors of yarn in a future project.
  • The other participants' comments were helpful in answering some of my questions. Their friendly and encouraging responses each week helped keep me on track. This is a great way to keep the momentum going when working on a big project.

No comments: