February 24, 2011

Spring Heating Benchmark Missed

Mini Calla Lily

I missed my Fall heating benchmark last November: it got cold early, and we had to turn the heat on before Thanksgiving. I missed my Spring benchmark this month: it is remaining cold, and I wasn't able to turn the heat off on Valentine's Day. Anything blooming outside will get creamed this weekend!

How cold is it? It's so cold, the National Weather Service has issued a Severe Weather - Hard Freeze watch through Sunday morning, and we are expecting lows in the mid-20s for the next couple of days, and highs in the 40s. There's even talk about snow in the Central Valley! Normals for this time of year are 40s and 60s. I'm going to have to bring in the Plumeria and cover the Meyer lemon.

We've already had an unrelated 5-hour power outage, which could affect the temperature in the apartment if it happens again. We've got lots of food and blankets, and the water pipe outside is insulated. I have a knitting project underway. I guess we're good for the weekend.

1 comment:

PeonInChief said...

Luckily it wasn't that cold, but the plumeria wouldn't have enjoyed the weather anyway.