March 20, 2006

Flowers that Bloom in the Spring, Tra La

The park where I walk in the mornings has sprouted patches of tiny daisies no bigger than about a half-inch in diameter. They look so fresh and spring-timey in the green grass, and with the odd bright dandelions that are also starting to flower, the park seems dressed in its spring finest. Although the weather is still cold and stormy, the days are getting longer, and the ornamental trees are all flowering, as are the tulips in folks' gardens.

I did go to Capital Nursery last weekend to buy a camellia, and came home with a pink one called "Pearl Maxwell". I have not been very successful in growing "mainland" flowers up to now, so I hope "Pearl" likes it in my back yard.

I've had more luck with my tropicals - maybe because I know what to expect from them. The ti plant and anthurium are growing just fine, and the white ginger I started from a root I bought in January at the Honolulu airport is starting to come up. It's been pretty cold for them, but the back patio is getting some good sun right now - maybe the most sun they'll see all summer! In a few months, the sun will be coming up behind some tall redwoods, and the yard will be in shade again until October.

No comments: