September 08, 2006

The Hummingbird Show

The Anna's Hummingbirds are about in flocks. Marty had been saying, while I was in Hawaii, that he couldn't keep the feeder full! Since I've been back (exactly a week), he's had to re-fill the feeder every other day. This afternoon, the feeder was empty, again, so I waited outside after he refilled it to see if I could capture a hummingbird with my phone's camera. I did! but they're so tiny and so fast, it looks like a shadow.

Sometimes the territorial little buggers put on an aerial acrobatic show, as they hover, dive, feed, and chase each other. They've even been known to challenge us, as we water the plants or sweep the patio. They are very bold, and provide a great deal of entertainment in the morning and evening as they compete for space at the feeder.

No comments: