March 09, 2008

Evening Time, Work is Over Now

My walking schedule, up to now in the mornings, has had to expand to evenings. This is such a beautiful time of year - warm enough to wear short sleeves, but cool enough to be able to work hard and sweat. The number of miles I walk is increasing each week, and includes one long walk (Mondays) and one moderate walk (TBD) and three shorter walks of about an hour and a half each. The long walk will gradually increase in distance until I am walking the entire half-marathon in practice.

Last night after work, I walked along the Sacramento River Levee just before sundown, and enjoyed the flowering trees, new grass, blue sky, and yellow sun. My cell phone can't really capture the lighting - so I will be carrying my "real" camera on walks in the future.

Right now, I'm listening to a book, "Blink, the Power of Thinking Without Thinking", while I walk. It keeps me from noticing how l-o-n-g the walk is, and from paying too much attention to my feet and knees. I'm already looking for my next book - maybe a good mystery - for when this one is finished. I use the library's downloadable audiobook collection and transfer the files to my Zen Nano MP3 player.

No comments: