March 22, 2009

Flowers and Voyages

Ordinarily. I leave flower photos to my friend. This morning, however, when I stepped outside, this perfect camellia just begged to be photographed. There are lots of buds on the bush, but it looks like rain today, and that will spoil them. I clipped it, brought it inside, and sat it down for a portrait. I hope to enjoy it all week.

Speaking of week, one week from today, at this very time, I will be flying across the Pacific to visit Mom for about 8 or 9 days. Although I believe spring has come to Sacramento, this weekend is a reminder that winter is not long gone - from high temps in the mid 70s, we dropped overnight to highs in the mid-50s. 80s in Hawaii is sounding pretty good, right about now, as I look out my back door at wind, overcast, and drizzle.

I've been reading Hokule'a's twitterstream, vicariously following along as she sailed to Palmyra. The photos posted on the Polynesian Voyaging Society blog are absolutely stunning! What amazes me, though, is that the Hokule'a is so small on the vast Pacific Ocean. Reading about their thoughts and observations during the voyage is much different from reading narrative accounts after-the-fact. I've especially enjoyed the exchanges between Hokule'a and Kama Hele crew and the children in Hawaii. The crew answers the kids' questions respectfully and with humor. The kids will never forget this experience!

3 comments:

PeonInChief said...

That's a GORGEOUS flower. I am humbled.

annot8 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
annot8 said...

I'm just glad it bloomed before I left. I don't think the other buds will be this pretty when they open.