April 16, 2010

Owens Outpost - Aloha!

Many, many years ago, I burned a bunch of midnight oil learning to code web pages by hand. The result was the Owens' Outpost, which started on Netcom, migrated to Earthlink, and now resides on Comcast. Since then, blogs mushroomed and I created this blog and Ancestories essentially to supersede the Outpost. However, the last Outpost still lives on the Comcast site, and I guess it's time to take it down.

Hand coding is going the way of Underwood manual typewriters - remembered affectionately, but no longer worth the work, now that better tools are available. I can even blog from my phone now, though it's a bit of work for anything longer than a paragraph. And even the tedium of typing on those tiny, tiny buttons is relieved by the Dragon Naturally Speaking iPhone app: just dictate, copy, and paste!



The only drawbacks I can see are that I usually do my blogging after 10:30 p.m. and speaking out loud to the iPhone might be disturbing to others in the house. Also, it removes the privacy factor when everyone around me can hear what I say.

At work, we retired the grandCENTRAL blog this week, because staff is putting more emphasis on our twitterstreams and Facebook page. So I guess it remains to be seen how much longer the Halona blog will live on - I, too, have a twitterstream and Facebook page now.

No comments: