October 19, 2010

Whirlwind in London

Marty and I are traveling through London on our way to Copenhagen for the iGaming conference. Marty wanted me to see some of the things he enjoys most about London, and I wanted to touch bases again with Carol, a distant cousin descended from my great grandfather. By coincidence, another cousin, Peter, was also in town on his way home to Jamaica, so the four of us met at The Audley, a traditional English pub near our hotel.

We had a lightning 2.5 days in London town. We walked across Green Park to see the beginning of the changing of the guard at Buckingham palace, and then we had high tea with Marty's friends, Peter and Angela, at Fortnam and Mason. We did a bus tour of the city, and then crashed.

The next day, we visited the Imperial War Museum, which turned out to be far more interesting than I expected, and the Tower of London before meeting Carol and Peter at The Audley for a half-liter of Guinness and a plate of food to share. This was the first time Carol and Peter had met, and I felt bad that we had to leave after an hour to go shopping for a coat. And Marty was falling asleep. But I think they stayed to visit and compare notes for a while after we left.

About the coat: I had my London Fog raincoat cleaned and pressed for the trip, and I left it at home! So, since it's colder and windier in Copenhagen, I had to get another one. I couldn't find one that fit exactly, but we were both so tired and cranky that I just bought the first one I could fasten shut at Marks and Spencer's.

Next morning, it was all about packing and getting the train to Heathrow. We got there early, and spent some time in the Scandinavian Air Service's lounge, where we had free wifi and a snooze.

No comments: