October 21, 2010

Wonderful, Wonderful Copenhagen

Copenhagen in October is dicey. The first two days were overcast and breezy. Daytime highs: upper 40s; nights: upper 30s. But today, it is beautiful! Blue skies, white clouds, and sunshine - lots of sunshine!

On my first day here, I took the Metro (light rail) to Kongens Nytorv station in the city of Copenhagen, and did the canal tour. Our guide pointed out the different islands, the important buildings, and included a brief history. That gave me some ideas about what to do the next day.

Just before catching the Metro back to the hotel, I decided to visit the House of Amber, a small shop with upscale amber jewelry and an amber museum on two floors upstairs. I knew amber is a resin, but had no idea how many different forms amber can take, nor how it is processed into jewelry! After visiting the free exhibit, I purchased a pair of earrings.

Yesterday, I took the Metro back to town and walked to the Amalienborg palace to watch the changing of the guard. There was also an exhibit there honoring Queen Ingrid, so I bought a ticket and walked through the museum. Stopped for lunch at the Els Restaurant, where I had a deliciously hearty potato soup with bacon, pesto and croutons, and a plate with bread, herring, and salmon plus some greens.

The waitress very helpfully gave me directions to my next stop: the Royal Library, also known as the Black Diamond. I was a little skeptical about the directions, but they were accurate, and I found not only the library with its peaceful garden, but also a medieval fair, where I bought a warbling bird whistle to bring home as a souvenir.

By that time, it was getting on 4 p.m., and I'd been on my feet, hobbling over cobblestones, for about 5 hours. I was really ready to head back to the hotel for dinner, a hot shower, and a soft featherbed.

2 comments:

PeonInChief said...

Oh, I wish I'd stowed away in your suitcase!

annot8 said...

You mean, your suitcase? Thanks, BTW, it was perfect!