December 07, 2011

I Am Liking These Mom- 'n' Dad-Only Evenings!

It's been a few years since I've needed to monitor homework assignments, attend Back to School Night, solicit co-workers for school fund-raisers. Now that Daughter spends most of her time with friends and eats at home only occasionally, we've had to adjust the portions we cook, as well.

You'd think I'd be at a loose end or have an immaculate house, but actually, I'm enjoying a new opportunity to work on crafts, bake, and play Scrabble and DragonVale. So while Husband snoozes in the La-Z-Boy in front of the TV, the house remains comfortably cluttered as I work on my various projects.

 Christmas will be a scaled-back holiday for us, as we don't have a lot of discretionary cash this year. We're looking at other ways to provide gifts and let people know we're thinking of them. I've discovered a quick pattern for crocheted fingerless gloves, and they've been in demand from those who saw the pair I made for Daughter last winter. I made three additional pairs in the last three months, and last week, I bought yarn for a fifth pair. I won't be making anything as ambitious as the Afghan I  made last year, but will be aiming instead for smaller items in volume.

Cranberries are plentiful this year, and my freezer is full of them. I intend to bake several loaves of Cranberry Bread, and also Cranberry Cordial. Daughter is lobbying for cookies; I'd like to do another gingerbread house!

No comments: