November 21, 2005

CRC Library - Monday Night

View of the library's reference area


For nearly two semesters I've been doing "adjunct" work as a reference librarian at the Cosumnes River Community College library. This is where Patrick is going to school.

Since last January, I've been working approximately two Mondays a month from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m. It's been an interesting learning experience, because most of the regular librarians have gone home by 6 p.m., leaving inexperienced me to run the show for the evening and close the library at 9:00.

The service philosophy is far different from that of the public libraries where I've worked for the past 30 years. (OMG!! has it been that long?) I've learned a lot about how the library and the instructors cooperate to help the students get through their research and writing projects.

No comments: