July 10, 2008

DSL Honeymoon

It doesn't take long for the honeymoon to be over. My brand new wireless broadband connection has most inconveniently been dropping out for a while and then reconnecting. But its newest trick is to show that there is a strong signal, but none of the browsers will connect to the Internet. I finally called AT&T tech support tonight and the technician showed me how to select a different channel and power setting. So far, everything's working, and I also changed the name of the network from the default to a word that means "lightning" - only somewhat facetiously, since my DSL connection isn't as fast as the wireless cable signal we'd been "borrowing".

1 comment:

annot8 said...

A phone call to tech support yielded this advice: change the channel of the ATT gateway and increase the power level. Since then, I've had no further problems.