September 03, 2008

Windows98 Still Rocks!

I fired up the old Gateway last night because L wanted to use the attached scanner. It's been many moons since I've turned it on, and I was curious to see if anything still works. The power button has been broken for about a year, but I have a power-management platform with a master power switch - not great on graceful shutdowns, so it has to do its "error checking" thing every time I power up. But it all still works! Amazing! And I rediscovered the backgammon program I loved so much - it still beats me about 50% of the time.

I've been postponing decommissioning the Gateway because of all the photos and family history files on it - I guess that will become my winter project - transfer as much as I can to CDs. (I think it has to be CDs, because I've had some trouble making the USB port work with some USB2 devices.) It would be good to reclaim the desk space for the laptop, and then reclaim the dining table for dining ... but as long as it works, I really can't see trashing it! If I could find a wireless card or something, I could even go online again with my wi-fi subscription!

No comments: