August 30, 2006

Isy is Amazing!


Mom's companion during the week from now on will be Isabelle (Isy). She came to us via a company called Senior Options, and seems to be a very good "fit" for Mom. I don't know how she does it, but she makes everything look so effortless and stress-free! On Friday, she got dinner on the table, and Mom wanted to have her chair adjusted. I offered to do it, but she was adamant that Isy should come and fix the chair! Lea and I looked at each other and said "She likes her! Mom likes her!"

We've been using my last week here to go over all the household routines, locations of kitchen items, writing down the instructions for the tv with the big speakers, creating lists of essential phone numbers, and sharing family information Isy can use in conversations with Mom. She will come two more times before I leave, and will be here full-time beginning Wednesday, August 30.

Ever since Mom's physician changed her medicine, she's been getting better and better every day, and now she's demanding meals, and having us read her mail. I am satisfied that she is finally on the mend, and feel very comfortable about leaving her in Isy's care.

Dave and Lea will now be responsible for her care at night and on weekends. This means that one or both of them will have to sleep here at night, and make sure Mom isn't left alone during the weekend days. It's like acquiring a foster child after being a (nearly) empty-nester. But she's so much better now than she was a month ago, and I think it won't be quite as onerous as it was when she first got out of the rehab center.

I'ts Wednesday night now, and I'm in countdown mode. I have done my gift shopping and my laundry; tonight I'm packing, and tomorrow I'll go next door and print my boarding pass. My niece will drive me to the airport, and I should arrive in Sacramento at 9:30 tomorrow night. Although I'd love to stay, I miss Sacramento - and my family and my work. I suppose I could always come back for another visit ...

No comments: