August 06, 2006

Mom's a champ!


Mom was feeling pretty good after dinner tonight, and consented to be photographed. After 9 days with her, I've figured out a daily routine, and a tentative plan to keep her in bed all night - we watch exciting movies (Cabaret, Chicago) after a dinner that involved stimulating company or a couple cups of tea. AND I hang a bell on her walker so I'll hear her if she gets up in the wee hours. I have to be really careful, because she slipped the other day in the bathroom and flayed a strip of skin off the back of one arm. No other injuries except to her pride, thank goodness!


I've learned how to operate her wheelchair, and so another problem is solved: how to take a daily walk. I'll just strap her into her chariot, and we'll "holoholo" around the block. I'll get my exercise, and she can see what's been going on in the neighborhood.


Tomorrow, the plumber and electrician are coming to rip out the old toilet and bathroom sink and install a commode with a bidet and a more modern sink with arthritis-friendly fixtures - and maybe find out why there is so much air in the hot water line that when we turn on the hot faucet, the house sounds like it's coming down. This should pose no more than the usual activity around here - she has four, count'em, four therapists and aides coming a couple time a week each, so except for Saturdays and Sundays, there is always one or more visitors.


Laurel went home today, and Patrick picked her up at the airport. How nice it is to have kids old enough to be of real help! Marty has been in London for five days, and will be arriving home tomorrow evening. Pat's been staying in our apartment to feed the fish and water the plants. Tomorrow he will have to return the car keys and sleep at his own house again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Ann
Joyce shared your blog with me, so I got to see your mom's picture. You have a lot to do there, and I'm glad she has you there. Say 'hi' to her for me, in case she remembers me and my sister. Thanks, Beth D.

annot8 said...

Hi Beth,
She remembers your visit - thought you were both lovely "girls". We spend most of our days on the patio - I'm doing the InfoPeople Genealogy online course, so I use the ethernet connection my brother ran from his house over the wall.
Take care,
Ann