August 12, 2006

Light Housekeeping


Yesterday, Mom said she sleeps so much because she has nothing to do and she is bored. So today I just happened to have a load of clean laundry fresh out of the dryer, and I gave them to her to fold. She never liked smiling for the camera, so, despite her glare, I believe she enjoyed the work. Tomorrow, I'll give her the vegetable peeler, and soon she'll be watering the pots on the patio.

Also, yesterday she said she didn't think she would be sufficiently recovered to be independent by the time I have to leave, and that we ought to consider hiring someone to help her out. I said she was right, and that Dave, Lea, and I had been discussing some options. Today we met with a woman whose business is matching care workers with families, and next Friday we will meet with a social worker from the agency who is providing mom's therapists. When we have looked at the options, we hope to have something started before I go. That way, if there are any wrinkles, they can be ironed out right away.

Mom is actually so much better than when I arrived two weeks ago, I am very encouraged that she will actually need minimal assistance. Yesterday and today she was able to get out of bed and dress herself without any help. She even managed to hang her nightgown on a hanger in the closet. The one worry is that, having had so many mini-strokes, she could have another or another series - so we are thinking about hiring a home care aide. That way, she can putter around here, maybe use the swimming pool since there will be a trained adult here to help her get in and out, and generally be in a freer environment than day care would be. She would hate day care.

No comments: