December 28, 2006

New Blogger Platform

Last night, I migrated my blogs to the new Blogger platform. There should be no changes in the look, but additional features are now supposedly available. I'm still exploring, and have not found them all yet. Because Blogger was recently acquired by Google, I'm sure there will be integration with Google gadgets, widgets and features down the line.

My latest exploit is to open a Skype account. Skype is a technology that lets you use your computer to make telephone calls. If you have a microphone and speakers, you use the Skype software to connect with a computer or dial a phone number, and speak into the microphone. Your caller's voice is broadcast through the computer's speakers or a headset. We already use similar software at the library in our Telephone Reference Service, but we have handsets attached to the computers that make it feel more like using a traditional telephone.

My cousin Michael called me last night from Toronto via Skype, and although there was an annoying echo of my side of the conversation, the sound quality was very clear and I could talk to both Mike and Debbie easily. (Mike said the echo was his microphone picking up my conversation from the speakers and feeding it back to me.) I decided to get an account, too, and look forward to digital conversations with family and friends! Skype can call land lines; but can land lines call Skype?

No comments: