May 12, 2008

Training is Tapering This Week

This is the last week of prep for the Avenue of the Vines half-marathon next Sunday. By Thursday, I will have logged 258 miles since I started training in the last week of January, and the race will add another 13 for a total of 271 miles! That's about three times the distance between Sacramento and San Francisco!

I walked 10 miles yesterday. I started walking at 6:45 a.m. and returned home at 10:15 a.m. - just in time for the nice Mother's Day brunch Pat and Laurel prepared: Eggs Benedict, toast, and coffee. I'll be attending the interval training on Tuesday, then the walking tapers off to 3 miles, 2 miles, and two days of rest before the race.

I saw a map of the course, and it looks like the grid is conveniently divided into 1-mile blocks, so it should be easy to pace myself. I know I can do it, but the thought of walking 4 1/2 hours nonstop is a little daunting! I downloaded some more marches to my Shuffle, including some circus marches, and that should help me focus during the last couple of miles.

No comments: