May 30, 2008

Evidence of Life on the Beach

This is a crab hole surrounded by doggie footprints. My visitor from Sacramento mentioned the beaches on the Windward side seemed so clean and devoid of the usual detritus often associated with beaches: shells, fish bones, seaweed ... so I took this photo of a crab hole yesterday morning. It's big enough for me to stick my fist inside.

This morning is my last morning in Kailua. I'm flying back to Sacramento at noontime, and go back to work tomorrow morning. It's been a very quiet visit, but the weather has been glorious! Time for me to shower and finish packing now.

1 comment:

annot8 said...

My cousin Pickles comments: "Dat's a big crab hole. U don't see them very often anymore, except in da north shore sandy areas. Ghost crabs usually leave da water @ nite for protection from u'lua & o'io's looking for them. We used to dig them up for bait & catch them w/a bucket or a lobster/crab net to avoid from getting bitten, some of them were so large, one could lose a finger, if u weren't careful. Pictures like these make me remember da days of my youth & my dad's fishing trips on da N. Shore. I guess, its da small things, we don't do anymore, that we treasure da most."