May 16, 2008

Walking is Hot Stuff

Our first summer heat wave arrived yesterday, with temperatures pushing 100.  The high pressure area is expected to stick around through the weekend - great for the pool; not so great if you're doing a long race.

This is my Avenue of the Vines half-marathon race weekend. I did my last walk this morning; tomorrow is a rest day, and Sunday is the Big Day.  At our training meeting on Tuesday, we received our red singlets, driving directions, and tips for surviving the race: eating, drinking, clothing, rest, sunscreen, mental prep, and walking strategy. Tomorrow, Marty and I will drive to Stockton to pick up my race packet, and on the way back, we'll swing by the Woodbridge Winery to get the lay of the land. I'm all stocked up with Gatorade and powerbars, and will be attending the Pasta party tomorrow afternoon at the Old Spaghetti Factory in Elk Grove.

I know I will finish; my team mates say they will stand by the finish line for as long as it takes me to get there!

Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: