November 28, 2008

Christmas Season Officially Launched

With Thanksgiving just barely behind us, my attention must now turn to Christmas. This year, I may not get the week off I usually take. I use the time off to begin the time-consuming jobs I set for myself: the photo calendar, gifts for library staff, Christmas cards, baking, cleaning. I've already rescheduled once, from this week to week after next, but I may need to work through that week as well, in order to complete all the database renewals at work. I'm just thankful we are a household of adults now - no insane caching of tons of gifts for children any more.

So, I actually have a 5-day "weekend" - Thanksgiving through Monday - and I need to put it to good use. First thing will be to hit the craft show at the Crocker Museum. Not only does it attract a higher class of craftsmen, but the gift shop at the museum is a treasure-trove of interesting items that would make good gifts. Next is to collect the photos for the calendar. That will actually be a challenge, because we haven't taken a lot of photos this past year - at least not of family members. Laurel has promised me some of hers, so we'll be able to put something together.

Last job for this weekend: swapping all the shorts and tank tops for turtlenecks and sweats. The weather has finally got chilly, and it's also been foggy the last few days. Fog is a sure sign of winter, and makes everything seem much colder. However, I MET MY BENCHMARK! I did not need to turn on the heater before Thanksgiving, and, if things continue as they have been, I may still not need to do it for another couple of weeks. Wonder if I can make it to Christmas ... (probably not.)

No comments: