January 17, 2008

Always Take Sides

"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." ~Elie Wiesel

This was the quote of the day in my Franklin planner for January 9, 2008.

It has always been very hard for me to take sides. I can usually see compelling arguments on both sides, and cannot choose if they appear to be equally weighted. M tells me I need to look at the issues in light of long-term viability or benefits, instead of simply weighing the arguments in the short term. Maybe he's right. I probably need practice in sticking my neck out and justifying an opinion - hopefully well-enough researched - which is my other problem. Since most research supports one or the other side, it must necessarily be biased and regarded with skepticism...

In these last few weeks before the California primaries, the Wiesel quote made me think about how California creates laws. California always seems to produce a great deal of its law via ballot referendums and initiatives. This has led to the interesting patchwork of special-interest legislation that each year entangles the already contorted state budget even more. I have always voted "no" on each measure on GP, because I believe we have hired the legislators to create the laws; else why even bother to elect them? Does that count as taking sides? Or is it simply refusing to play?

No comments: