January 12, 2008

Jamaica Day 6 - The Trip Home

American Airlines delayed us again on the return trip. Because the night flight the previous evening was very late, the morning flight was also late, in order for the crew to get its 12-hour rest. As a result, the ticketing agent had to reschedule virtually everyone on the 737 because of missed connections. I was upgraded to business class from Kingston to Miami, and to first class from Dallas-Ft.Worth to Sacramento. I had some time to shop in the airport for gifts to bring back.

Miami was queueing experience! Going through passport control took a very long time. Good thing the agent gave me a 4 hour layover there! I spent over an hour in line waiting to go through the passport control checkpoint; then I navigated to the baggage claim area and picked up my suitcase, then took it to customs. I called my in-laws, who winter in Miami, but there wasn't enough time to get together, so I wandered on to the gate for the next leg of the journey. The rest of the flight was uneventful, and I was able to stick up my feet in the nice, spacious, first-class seat and snooze for a couple of hours. Marty was waiting for me in Sacramento, and brought me home.

No comments: