January 02, 2008

Jamaica - 40 Years Since My Last Visit

This morning went absolutely without a hitch: the "continental breakfast" included pancakes and waffles, muffins, bagels, cereal, hard-boiled eggs, and various fruits and beverages. I doubled the desk clerk's estimate of how long it would take to get to the airport, and I planned to arrive two and a half hours before flight time, instead of two hours. The line at the American Airlines checkin counters was very long, but it actually moved fairly quickly, and in 30 minutes I was checked-in and had my boarding pass in hand. Nothing left to do but sit at the gate for an hour before boarding began, and the flight left on time.

Fee met me at the airport - recognized me immediately, and I recognized her from recent photos. Big hugs! We stopped for the Jamaican equivalent of "fast food" - two beef patties and a soda - and she brought me to her house, just a few blocks from where I stayed on our last visit. Our cousin Peter stopped by later in the afternoon and took me to visit some of Mom's friends from the theatre: Noel Vaz and the two sisters, Carmen and Gloria. (I'm going to edit names in the next day or so, to be sure I get them right.) Fee is hosting a family party next Saturday, and they will come, too, for a get-together and an evening of music and entertainment.

I may have left my flash card reader at home - if so, I'll need to buy one here so I can post photos. In the meantime, I'll also take pictures with the cell phone and e-mail them to blogger. Maybe - the first one is still in my phone's "out box" after 15 minutes, and bluetooth doesn't seem to be connecting, either. May have to re-establish the connection. Ach! Technology!

No comments: