January 26, 2008

TTES

Gulp!

A few years ago, my friend Alison and I did a 5 kilometer walk as a benefit for the American Heart Association. It took an hour, and we had a lot of fun.

A few weeks ago, I got an invitation in the mail to participate in a benefit for the American Stroke Association, a sub-group of the AHA, by raising funds and participating in a half-marathon. I went to the informational meeting this morning, and signed up. Now I'm wondering if I'll have the courage to follow through. It's not the walking nor the distance; it's the requirement that I raise a minimum of $2,100.00!

The program I joined is called Train To End Stroke, or TTES. There are hundreds of participants, many who have participated multiple times. Each team has mentors, trainers, a nutrition counselor, and someone to help with fundraising suggestions. Team Sacramento will meet twice a week to train and learn. I won't be able to attend those group meetings because of my work schedule, but they assure me that will not be an obstacle.

The first team practice was a 1 mile walk after the kickoff session this morning - but I had to work at the library today, as I do every Saturday, so I'll have to get my practices in on different days. I'll be blogging my progress here, and on the fundraising web site.

No comments: