January 01, 2008

Jamaica Day One: Sacramento to Kingston - Almost

I'm a victim of holiday airline delays. I only made it as far as Miami today. The morning began with a one-hour delay in Sacramento because of crew rest rules and - get this - de-icing! And then a one-hour-plus delay in Dallas-Fort Worth caused me to miss my connecting flight to Kingston. (Leo Prieto's photo used with permission.)

In DFW, mechanics were "looking at an item" on the aircraft and boarding was postponed by about 20 minutes. Then, after everyone was aboard and the doors locked, we waited another 30 minutes for the mechanic to sign off on the inspection and for a ground crew to "push us out." Then the taxiing and waiting our turn, and finally the take-off. We were about an hour late arriving in Miami, and my connecting flight had already left. American Airlines re-booked me for 10:55 a.m. tomorrow, and put me up at the Comfort Inn Suites with vouchers for three meals. I didn't think, until after I'd eaten my delicious, free hot roast chicken dinner, that I could have asked the airline to see if there was a seat on a different airline. Ah, well, live and learn.

So tomorrow morning, I'll enjoy my free breakfast, catch the shuttle back to the airport, and continue on to Kingston and my cousins!

No comments: