January 11, 2008

Jamaica Day 5 - Sunday

I broke down on Sunday. It actually started Saturday afternoon, when it suddenly hit me that I didn't want to leave Jamaica. But Sunday, I broke down big-time. We all went to Mass at Sacred Heart Church in Old Harbor. Peter's sermon was humorous and well-received. I expected the hymns to make me teary, based on past experience, but I didn't expect to lose control! The parishioners were so genuinely warm and welcoming, and the special blessing conferred by the pastor on all first-time visitors to the church combined with my already emotional state, just caused tears to stream down my cheeks. It was like finding a family and having to leave them just as I was getting to know them.

We were tired from having stayed up late Saturday night, so after breakfast, we all took a siesta before returning to Fee's for the night. There was some car trouble on Peter's side, and we were to borrow Fee's vehicle to be sure I got to the airport on time. Fee had additional guests, and had ordered Chinese food to go, so we had more music Sunday night. I did manage to get my packing done, and crawled into bed around 11. We needed to wake up around 4 a.m. to get to the airport on time.

No comments: